Sunday, January 4, 2015

'Your Love Is King' by Adrienne Thompson



Blurb: 


Plus-sized divorced nurse and single mom, Marli Meadows, is tired of the monotonous rhythm of an unfulfilled life. She is seemingly stuck in a perpetual cycle of low self-esteem and bad decisions. With her daughter approaching adulthood, she decides to make a change and leaves her dysfunctional parental ties and going-nowhere relationship with an occasional boyfriend behind in exchange for a travel nursing job in another state. Enter the handsome Chris King, who oozes confidence and pursues Marli relentlessly. Chris is white. Marli is African American. And therein lies the first of her issues with him. Your Love Is King is an Edgy Inspirational Interracial Romance novel that chronicles one woman's journey toward self-acceptance and love. 

*This is not your ordinary inspirational novel* 

Read an excerpt:
Bill’s was true to the words of its slogan: “So Good, You’ll Think Grandma Made It.” Sunday’s dinner with Mama was much more relaxed than Saturday’s dinner with my dad, but true to form, Mama eventually let the liquor take over her inhibitions and her true feelings about me began to surface.

“So, Marlena Marie,” she slurred. “Whatcha been up to? Got a new man?” 
I wasn’t sure how to answer that question. Mama knew about Darius and had even met him once. She didn’t approve of him, of course, but in her mind, any man was better than no man at all. 
“Um, no,” I answered. 
Her mouth spread into a knowing smirk. “Mm-hmm. Still with that little thug boy, huh?” 
I sighed. “I’m still seeing Darius, if that’s who you’re referring to.”

She shook her head. “Well, I guess if you can’t do any better. I’ve never had that problem, as you know. Always had good, hard-working men in my life.” She reached over and patted Fred on the arm. “You’ve gotta lose that weight, baby girl. Your choices are just so limited by your size. When I was your age, I was a perfect ten,” she said and then took a bite out of a chicken leg. 
Now, that was a lie. I’d seen pictures of my mother taken when she was my age. She might not have been as heavy as I was, but she was no ten. I knew if I tried to argue the fact with her, she’d say I was disrespecting her. So I held my tongue. 
“Now, Edna, leave her alone,” Fred said. 
She held a hand up at him. “Hush, Fred.” She turned to me and continued. “It’s the truth. Look at Tiffany. She’s beautiful and she’ll have no trouble finding a good husband. You shoulda just stayed with Tim. At least he had a good job.” 
I dropped my head and stared at my plate for a moment. I guess it had slipped her mind that Tim actually left me, not the other way around. I drew in a breath and exhaled. “Mama, I respect your opinion, but I’m fine, really. I’m not worried about having a man.” 
“Mm-hmm. That’s what everyone who doesn’t have a man says. But I’m here to tell you. You need a man.”

Buy links
  


Bio: 

Adrienne Thompson has worn many titles in her lifetime–from teenage mother to teenage wife to divorcee to registered nurse to author. This mother of two young adults and one teenager currently resides in Arkansas with her daughter where she writes and publishes her stories full time.

Social Media Links:

Website: http://adriennethompsonwrites.webs.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AdrienneThompsonWrites 
Twitter: https://twitter.com/A_H_Thompson
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/ahthompsn/
Tumblr: http://authoradriennethompson.tumblr.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/muusikluvver

1 comment:

Due to tremendous amounts of spam, all comments are moderated and will be approved and published throughout the day.