Saturday, April 9, 2011

D is for Dexter

If you know me at all, you know that I am a huge fan of the Showtime series Dexter. I watch it regularly during the season, watch repeats during the off season, and I own every DVD out there. I watched the entire first season when I was home sick with the stomach flu, just before the second season started. I was ecstatic to then find out that it had been based on a book series by Jeff Lindsay.

I stumbled upon the paperbacks when I was perusing my local Borders store. At that point, only the first two were available. I bought them both and easily devoured them within a few days. The Showtime series very closely parallels these two books, Darkly Dreaming Dexter and Dearly Devoted Dexter. There are a few major differences, which I will not share with you, should you decide to read them.

Starting with the third book, Dexter in the Dark, the TV series and the book series take a massive departure from each other. Usually I get annoyed when TV and movies take their own path along a story's trajectory and differ so much from the book series. But with Dexter, it somehow makes it more fun for me. It is as if the two Dexters are in parallel universes. Each one has its own intrigue and dark side. I love to compare and contrast the two.

The third book, Dexter in the Dark is probably my least favorite. It reminds me more of a Stephen King story as it focuses on the monster known as the Dark Passenger. I love Stephen King, but that style just didn't work in this series.

The fourth book, Dexter By Design, is probably my favorite. I have the fifth book, Dexter is Delicious, but I haven't yet read it. I think I have made it through the first chapter. It's not that it isn't interesting; I just haven't had a chance to read it.

So, if you are feeling the need to feed your Dexter fetish, check out these books!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to tremendous amounts of spam, all comments are moderated and will be approved and published throughout the day.