Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Reading A to Z: C is for Cabot

I first discovered Meg Cabot because of The Princess Diaries series of books. Yes, this is the same series upon which the Anne Hathaway movies are based. While I did enjoy the movies, I think I liked the book series better. The two existed separately from each other, much like in a parallel universe. Yes, these are technically young adult books, but who cares? I could zip through one in about an hour.



My BFF and I were then in a serious chick lit phase. It started with the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella (didn't care for the movie) and The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares (another technical young adult series with a decent movie adaptation). BFF then came across The Queen of Babble by Meg Cabot. It was a similar concept to the Shopaholic series in that the main character, Lizzie, has an uncomfortable problem that often gets her into trouble. In this case, she talks too much. She manages to sweep a wealthy, beautiful man off of his feet, despite her foibles, and fulfills all of our fantasies. Believable? Not so much. Enjoyable to read? Yeah, I enjoyed them. Again, it was the kind of chick lit that I could read in about a day and was a welcome distraction from life.



Meg Cabot has written many other books, as well. I have not yet gotten into the Heather Wells mystery series, which features a former pop star who has put on some extra weight since leaving the limelight who accidentally gets thrust into solving a murder. Size 12 Is Not Fat looks like a good read. I saw it used at the local Barnes and Noble, along with several others. I am feeling a large purchase coming on.




So, check out this author if you are interested in some lightweight and entertaining chick lit. I also recommend her various young adult series. Click on any of the book covers above for more information.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a good series to check out. Usually when it comes to books made into movies-- I always prefer the books. Seems my imagination can do more than what the movie producers can put on a big screen!

    Cheers, Jenn
    http://www.wine-n-chat.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I've never read chick lit. But I keep hearing about it and have friends writing it. Maybe I should read it.:)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great book reviews. I enjoyed reading about those. I like YA stuff too, no reason why 'Grown Ups'shouldn't read it, and I'm a fan of Anne Hathaway too. Good blog.

    ReplyDelete

Due to tremendous amounts of spam, all comments are moderated and will be approved and published throughout the day.